Sunday, March 9, 2008

I've contracted a very bad case

Funny thing, I didn't think this disease was rare, but it seems like it is as there is no reference to it on WebMD:





My symptoms are pretty typical:
1. Strong urge to have a multiple hand grafts as to maximize number of projects that can be knit at the same time
2. Uncontrollable drooling when faced with lovely new spring patterns and colors
3. Even more uncontrollable drooling in the presence of yarn
I've got it but good, despite one of my steadfast yarnie resolutions of not having more than 2 projects on the needles. I'm pushing it lately, but definitely within bounds. I just don't know how long I can keep it up! Having a goodly portion left of a fairly substantial gift card to Ruhama's doesn't help my case much, either.

Here's the evidence:
1. There's poor, wooly, wintry Jack.
Like a good little knitter, I finished one sleeve this past week and I should be finished shortly. I even hope to don the sweater at least once before spring arrives.

2. Sweet William
This is my pre-work, take along project and, as I've made excellent progress on Jack, the progress on Sweet William has slowed a bit. However, I'm about 80% done with the back and still am loving the pattern and yarn immensely.

3. There are all the beautiful spring sweater patterns that I've earmarked for (cough, cough) this year yet as noted in this recent entry.
I'm ok with the above. Now for the stuff that put me over the edge. Enter the gift card.

4. Manos del Uruguay Silk Blend. I love the colors Manos wool comes in, but I don't like the thick/thin nature of the yarn, nor its predisposition to pilling. Enter their new creation, Silk Blend. 70% wool, 30% silk. Gorgeous Manos colors. It came in early February and that's when my drooling started. I couldn't pass up the damn stuff without stopping to oggle it. After a month of this silliness, I realized that I'd probably regret it if I didn't get it, so I broke out the ol' Gift Card and made the plunge.













Yummy "adobe" colorway in blues/beiges that goes with just about everything in my spring/summer wardrobe. But what would it become? I so rarely buy yarn ahead of a pattern. Surely among the Plethora there has to be one that works well? I thought to myself, "Aha! A nice lacy pattern would show off the colors beautifully!" I was right - but just couldn't get the gauge on the Lacy Cardigan. Silk Blend likes 6 spi, and the pattern calls for yarn that gets about 5 spi over stockinette. I swatched a couple of times to see how the yarn knit up with lace (gorgeous), but just couldn't get the gauge:







I pulled out my trusty RYC spring pattern collections, and lo and behold, there it was. A pattern that caught my eye last year, but I didn't have a good yarn in mind: Wildflower, from the Nature collection, has a delightful tulip-shaped lace pattern and my swatch worked up nicely after trying a size 5, then 4 needle:












I'm trying very hard to not knit this RIGHT NOW!

5. Cookie A has two new sock patterns, Marilinda and Mingus (our beloved dog, who died a few years ago, was also named Mingus...how could I pass up this pattern?):












I've got a box of sock yarn, with the recent acquisitons of my Dream in Color Smooshy Sock in Cocoa Kiss and Classic Elite's beautiful new Alpaca Sox in a new spring colorway which could have been dyed just for me with greens, pumpkin, and a hint of blue:












Crap.
Crappity, crap.

Trying very hard to be good and - so far, as of 12:20 pm Sunday, March 9, I'm winning as I dutifully cast on Jack's second sleeve this morning and proceeded to start it. I would take any bets, though, on how the rest of the day will go...

1 comment:

Kris said...

Look at all that lovely yarn. No wonder you have startitis...