Saturday, February 23, 2008

Warning label

To say the least, it has been an aggravating start to 2008 where my health is concerned. I rarely get ill...really! But, since the New Year, I've battled a nasty cough/mild bronchitis that dragged on forever, very chapped toes (to the point where they just hurt when it is really cold outside), and - starting on Saturday night - a nasty little bout with an intestinal bug/food poisoning. Nausea hit me like a freight train at about 7:00 pm and didn't exactly let up fully until Monday evening. Thankfully, that was all there really was to it, except for a bad case of the fatigues afterwards. Whatever it was, it just sapped the livin' beejeezus out me. So much so that I actually took it downright easy at the gym on Monday a.m. and issed a whole day of work, stayed in bed all day, and actually took two naps. Up until this point, I hadn't taken a nap in, I reckon, 5 years or so. Guess I'm making up for lost time.

I started to feel close to 85% by Tuesday evening, but was still enjoying my "cocooning" in bed - rather than sitting in the living room in the evening after work, I continued to get all cozy and cuddly in the bedroom, eating my dinner on a tray, and carrying my knitting along with me. I was still falling asleep before 8 p.m. every night, but getting later each day.


Wednesday night was no different and downright hilarious. I've been working on "Sweet William" through all of this. It was perfect: enough to keep my mind off the nausea, but mindless enough for me to work through being a bit tired and queasy. I was almost back to my regular bedtime on Wednesday and on the one row in the 6-row repeat that calls for any attention - the cable row that I'm doing without a cable needle. I must have dozed off 4 or 5 times while doing this one row, sometimes in mid-stitch, but always - upon awakening - telling myself, "I can finish the row", "I'm awake now", "Just a little bit more". HA!


With my little sleep sessions, I think it took me a good 20 minutes to get across the row of 124 stitches. By the time I was finally done, I was too bleary-eyed and simply bemused with my sleep knitting to accurately determine if any serious mistakes had happened while I multi-tasked (aka sleeping and knitting at the same time). When morning came, I realized - chuckling to myself - that there were whole stretches of the row that weren't cabled at all, some that were. I guess it could have been worse!


I sometimes take an aspirin with a mild sleep agent, like Excedrin PM, to ease my intermittent insomnia. I guess I should read the warning label before I take one in the future:








2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hehehe. I'm glad you're getting back up to par! It's so tough getting out of the warm, cozy cocoon, isn't it? Also, I'm glad you pointed out that warning label. I need to read those more carefully from now on!

Kris said...

I need to look more carefully at all sorts of warning labels...