Sunday, January 27, 2008

Sick Knitting

or, knitting while sick. That's what took place from Thursday until this morning. Ugh!

My crappy coughy cold apparently has a phase two that I only became keenly aware of on Thursday when I awoke to a sore throat. Our house is extremely dry and it hasn't been an uncommon occurrence for me to wake up with a scratchy throat so I wasn't terribly alarmed. My cough was subsiding, I was feeling stronger, and - after a few good swigs of H2O - I was just dandy and did well at the gym.

I thought, anyway...

Friday a.m., same sore throat, but perhaps a bit more intense. By about noon, I could barely take it and could hardly swallow! That's when I learned that the cold I had (which far outlasted its welcome to begin with), had a nice little chaser...a very bad sore throat that, thankfully, was shortlived. I actually left work by 2 pm to speed the recovery. I wasn't in a very good mood to begin with, so I didn't feel too bad about leaving a bit early. I climbed into my beloved pjs, made some yummy tea, and felt ok albeit a bit fatigued and could definitely sense that all wasn't 100% with the throat.

Again: I thought, anyway...

Fast forward to 1 a.m. when my sore throat was so bad it woke me up and shortly thereafter I was nearly in tears. My Beloved - with no hesitation - actually went to a 24 hour Walgreens on Brady around 2 a.m. to get me some medicine. Yet another example of how wonderful and sweet he is. Throughout this entire illness, he's kept me company and calmed me down when it has woken me up in the middle of the night and then packing himself off in the middle of the night amidst bar-hopping Trendies was just so dear.

I feel about 110% better since then having laid pretty low this weekend and even taking my first nap in YEARS yesterday afternoon. I was working off about 3 or 4 hours of sleep and it felt so delicious to close my eyes for about 45 minutes while watching my new absolutely most favorite movie of all time, Stardust.

So, anyway, back to knitting. On Thursday, Beloved and I went to go visit my mom and that meant 4 hours of prime car knitting time and me in need of a transportable project for said car knitting time. Time for a stash buster. Enter the Triple Patterned Watch Cap from the venerable Charlene Schurch's Hats On!



Love Charlene Schurch. Love her Sensational Sock series and I do love the hats book. There's just something so wonderfully satisfying about working her projects. I casted on Thursday morning and blocked it today. It's such fun to knit something in just a few days! It was knit in my leftover Cascade 220 that I bought at Lakeside Fibers in Madison years and years ago that I also recently used for the Gansey Watch Cap, supplemented with Naturespun Worsted for the darker color.

On our way home on Thursday, I treated myself with a visit to Loop's new location. True, a very pretty store but I found it hard to browse in for some reason. Their selection, while limited, is quite lovely, and they do carry several brands that we don't. I'm glad to have gone so if customers are looking for some of this yarn, I can easily and confidently direct them there. I'll go back when I have more time and in a better overall mood to get a better sense of the place. I wish we were right next door to a coffee shop! Stone Creek is just down the street, but oh...one of these days I'll open my own shop with coffee served inside, too, with beautiful, natural lighting and fixtures, no yucky fluorescent lights, a computerized inventory system, lovely hardwood floors, wonderful classical or big band music playing in the background, big comfy chairs, a husband and kid zone, dream dream dream dream dream...

Loop does carry Dream in Color yarns! While I am in a multi-year stash busting mode, I did allow myself at the beginning of my yarn diet last year the purchase of their "Smooshy" sock yarn as a treat. I really wanted to order online from The Loopy Ewe, but I definitely wanted to see and feel it first. I'm so glad Loop carries it! I chose the Cocoa Kiss color, which is a lovely blend of dark chocolate brown and greys. I was sorely tempted by the In Vino Veritas (both the color and the name...not enough Latin used in knitting, IMHO) but I have quite a bit of sock yarn in that general color range. Cocoa Kiss was an easy second choice. Now I just have to find the right stitch pattern to show it off!


1 comment:

Kris said...

I just went by the new Loop location today as well for the Altera on Humbolt knit group.

What didn't you like so much about the store? I liked the music playing and the clean esthetic.

BTW-because of our conversations, I went to Ruhama's on Saturday for wool wash. It was much better than I anticipated. Thank you again.