Wednesday, January 30, 2008

My Soul Sister

I love Mother Nature.

I love all sorts of weather phenomena and I secretly wish that I would have pursued meteorology and my dream job would be to work at NOAA. While I once watched the Weather Channel like some people just leave on CNN or MTV, I just couldn't take all of the post-Katrina-let's-blow-every-weather-event-completely-out-of-proportion-with-over-hyped-pseudo-journalism. I think the local news outlets are just as bad...if not worse.

So, I find it so totally wonderful when Mother Nature pulls a fast one. It's like She's listening to all of this stupid coverage and says, "You know what, guys? Let me show you who is boss around here." A prime example was a snowstorm last February. It was like the world was going to come to an end! Over a foot of snow predicted, biting winds, etc. Heck, it's winter...it's Wisconsin...this stuff isn't that unusual. Well, what was really cool is that Mother Nature dumped more snow on us the night before (all of about 8") than the day The Snowstorm was to happen (I seem to recall we got about 2 or 3" of grainy snow in the wee a.m. hours only). Sweet.

Then there was yesterday. Sure, the temperature was going to fall dramatically from 40 to around zero. Yes, there was to be very high winds during the evening and, even with an inch or two of snow that was originally predicted, that could be nasty driving. But, cripe, schools were closing at 1 p.m. in anticipation, the local media had non-stop coverage...the world is going to end!!!!

You know what happened? Not much. Yes, it got cold...and yes it is windy and the sidewalks are little icy after some mid-afternoon rain and falling temps. No blizzard. To paraphrase a line from Ghostbusters, no catastrophe of biblical proportions, cats and dogs sleeping together...

It's January in Wisconsin, people, get over it and touché, Mother Nature. You've got my mark.
Signed,
Little Miss Anthrope

2 comments:

Kris said...

Trying this again - blogger ate my comment! :(

I agree fully, but I did leave work 30 minutes early to avoid the idiots out on the road.

Anonymous said...

Personally I was more concerned with waiting for the bus the next morning. Wind chill brought it to -30-something and it hurt to breathe out there on the bus stop!

I can deal with cold. I'm the first to tell other people to quit whining or move south. :P