Sunday, December 2, 2007

What did you just say?

Sorry, but I just have to get this off my chest. This offends me not so much as an ex-linguist, but as a reasonably intelligent and literate human being.

I'm minding my own business, knitting blissfully away on the High Neck Cable and watching the Giants/Bears game. Troy Aikman is commentating. He has the annoying habit of not being able to pronounce a participle or gerund -ing ending if his life depended on it, e.g. saying "kickin'", "puntin'", "runnin'", etc. Additionally, he'll consistently use the very informal shoulda, woulda, coulda triumvirate.

Just a few minutes ago, he said something that I could hardly believe. These actual words were issued by someone who - having played quarterback masterfully - must have some functioning gray matter:

"Archuleta actually probably shoulda been satten down a while ago."

Doesn't he realize that his voice and gross language misuse is being broadcast nationally, perhaps even internationally? Doesn't he realize how downright stupid that makes him seem? Reminds of me someone I know who will pronounce pumpkin as punkin and picture as pitcher. She's not trying to sound informal or cute...this is actually how she pronounces it.

No comment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All I can do is shudder... repeatedly.