Sunday, December 16, 2007

FO Parade

Yesterday, amid the wonderful surprise of an additional 7 inches of snow, was spent listening to some of my favorite Christmas CDs while sitting next to the tree, with an assorted cat or two coming to snuggle up next to me, and finishing a few projects.

First, was last week's early a.m. knitting project, the Gansey Watch Cap from Charlene Schurch's Hat's On! I used some Cascade 220 purchased at Lakeside Fibers several years ago...good to dip into the stash archive that far back plus the color matches the trim on my new coat/Christmas present perfectly.

A little wonky with the math on the body and crown charts, but I tried not to worry about it too much. It is, afterall, my "everyday" hat and it is quite warm and fits just fine. I'm particularly fond of the brim design.




I think Charlene Schurch is brilliant and I hope to make a few more hats from this book. Her sock books, Sensational Socks and More Sensational Socks are - in my opinion - the best sock books...heck, some of the best knitting books on the planet.

Next up, the High Neck Cable sweater knit in Blue Sky's Suri Merino. Here it is, on the blocking table:




I'm still fudging with the placement of the buttons and have a few little ends to weave in. I ended up not doing actual buttonholes since I'll never be wearing it any other way but completely buttoned up. So, I simply tacked down the front plackets and simply sewed the buttons in place.
Love the buttons!



I tried it on yesterday over a very large turtleneck and without blocking and was, sadly, a little underwhelmed. I hope that once it is done on the table and after finalizing the buttons/placket, all will be well. This is intended to be my Christmas sweater this year.

Speaking of Christmas, I just wanted to share some of my most treasured decorations/heirlooms. This is the stocking my mom made for me the year I was born:




And the ceramic ornament she made, also during the year I appeared:




This funny Humpty Dumpty ornament was purchased by my parents shortly after they were married. I figure it is about 40 years old!
It just wouldn't be Christmas without seeing these.

1 comment:

PaulaRed said...

Anne

I love the buttons on your sweater, and the sweater too (wink wink) PaulaRed aka Marilyn