Saturday, May 10, 2008

Knitting invention?

Now, don't get me wrong, I love me some Cookie A. sock patterns. They are brilliant and beautiful. But, while knitting in the car on the way to visit my mom, with the Pomatomus heel successfully turned, it was time to embark on the gusset which meant the dreaded Chart B:

Call me crazy, but the middle of the chart had me absolutely flummoxed. The blank square usually means "no stitch" of course, but what the heck was I supposed to do? Re-position the stitches on the needle? The pattern instructions only read: "While Chart B may seem confusing and neccessarily complex, the modifications are necessary to make the top of the foot rectangular..." Ok, yeah, I get that - but how do I modify it and still make the pattern flow?

I was stuck. In the car. With no knitting! I haven't been this bored in a long time and I swear, time stood still. I just wanted to stop at the nearest public library, get online and do some searching for clarification.

Within minutes of getting home and after typing in "Pomatomus Sock Chart B" into Google, I found this helpful little thread. A ha! You just keep knitting the pattern and actually ignore the blank boxes. I've said this to my students and this totally confirms my belief that the innernets wasn't invented by Al Gore...unless he is a knitter.

With the clarification in hand, my Pomatomus continues its growth in typical Cookie A. fashion, brilliant and beautiful.

2 comments:

Kris said...

I have a love/hate relationship with this pattern. I love my socks, but will NEVER knit this pattern again. I now intensely dislike the twisted ribbing that is her trademark. It is beautiful, but tedious.

PaulaRed said...

lovely, what is the yarn?